Tuesday 23 December 2014

Compulsive Overeating Story (All About Me Series)

A few years ago I experienced some very big changes in my life and to cope with those I developed some mechanisms for safety and to compensate my messed up emotions. One of those mechanisms was an eating disorder... There are a lot of eating disorders but mine is an uncommon one called Compulsive Overeating. And because I've made such a big change in that part of my life I thought it would be good to share my story so that others can find advice, inspiration or just comfort in my story if they experience or have experienced an eating disorder, or if they know someone who is/was dealing with this mental health problem.

How It All Started & Weight Changes
When I was about 13 years old I went through a hard time because something very disturbing happened in my life... To cope with that disturbing experience I developed an eating disorder called Compulsive Overeating. When experiencing this disorder people eat compulsively to compensate their emotions and feelings.
I found myself eating a lot of food, several times in one day... I didn't gain a lot of weight when this began but when my eating disorder was associated with my depression and/or anxiety i gained a lot of weight... and that made me feel sad, angry at myself, more depressed, stressed, anxious, I wasn't motivated and I did not want to do anything...

Eating Disorder Moments
I had more severe eating disorder moments whenever I felt more upset, sad, anxious, stressed. When it was test/exam season in school, when I had projects, papers or oral presentations to do, I'd eat a lot to cope with the stress. Whenever I felt more sad about my weight and my body I ate and then I'd feel guilty about eating. Whenever I was going through a hard time due to family things or feeling unmotivated and sad because I wasn't doing what I wanted to be doing, I ate a lot of food.
So basically whenever I had negative emotions and thoughts I would eat to compensate what I was feeling.

Changes
In 2013 I decided that I could not keep on eating to compensate my feelings and so I slowly started changing my thoughts into more positive ones and whenever I felt the need to eat due to a certain feeling I thought to myself "Is it really worth it? Are you going to feel better?". At the beginning it was really hard to "fight my desire for food" but as the days went by and I had more and more of these situations happening to me I got better and better at "fighting" them.
One thing that I also did to change this "desire" was I started to eat less food during meals and so my stomach shrinked. I found myself eating a lot less and so if I had more "food compensation episodes" it wasn't as bad because I was eating less in general during the day.

If you've not seen the video where I give you some tips on how to overcome eating disorders just click the followin box and it will take there:


So that is all for today's post. I hope it was helpful and please come back in a few days for the next one.
Love,
Carolina Rosalie ♥